If the challenge and reward of documentary filmmaking excites you, but you don't know where to start, this workshop will give you a guide to the whole process! Putting together a good documentary (and getting it seen) is like completing a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle the size of a basketball court - with only blue pieces.
This workshop will cover the basics of this demanding and underpaid art form, from the personal to the practical. We'll go through all the stages of documentary planning, from pre-production to filming to promotion.
This workshop will cover:
- What defines a "documentary"
- Finding a story, research, and finding your own voice
- Who does what and who pays for it
- Preparing to shoot interviews and B-roll
- Working with others, organizing the mess: logs, outlines & scripts
- Licensing music and footage
- New technologies to pay attention to
- Funding sources, markets, and film festivals
You'll also receive tons of great supporting documents including sample budgets, templates of common production forms and releases as well as a range of articles.
Presented by Abigail Wright
Cost: Non-Members: $89 | Members: $69